Skip to main content

Mori Girl Inspired Top

Recently I have been trying to change up my style.  My body has been going through some changes, and it was time to start dressing the body I have, not the body I used to have.
I have always been drawn to the unusual.  I like to sing, dance and march to the beat of my own drummer type thing. So, if you would like to come along with me on this exploration of a "new look" read on!

A short explanation of Mori fashion.  The goal for this type of look is to basically dress like you are going for a nice long walk in the forest.  Imagine Radagast the Brown from the Hobbit  minus the bird poo only chic and feminine.  This style relies on natural fibers, patterns, ruffles and lots and lots of layers with an emphasis on nature and sustainability.  

I know, that's a lot of rules, right?  If rules are made, I can break them.  Let's see what shapes up from this little experiment.  

I started with the pattern.  Where better to look for a pattern made from natural fabrics than a store that caters to those types of fabrics, so I browsed Fabric-Store.com to see what they had and decided on the Milou Linen Color-Blocked dress pattern.  It had everything I dreamed of in a pattern.  There are several design lines to add ruffles, it was made for wovens, and best of all it is a free pattern!  



Then it was time for fabrics, so I shopped my stash.  In stock I found a lovely black floral rayon skirt that I had thrifted.  It had a few stains, but the pattern and drape called to me.  


I also had a couple of thrifted linen pillow cases.  Linen can be really expensive, so if you find sheets or pillow cases at the thrift store, grab them. (Like my "try on" modeling photo?)  


Lastly, I had a  cotton voile I had purchased from
Mood a while back.  They don't carry it anymore or I would have linked it. 

The only thing left in the planning stage was to actually make a plan of attack.  So, I sat down at my drafting table and sketched out what I would like to do.
I gathered some inspiration photos, a swatch of the fabrics I wanted to use and the flat drawing from the pattern and went to work.  The plan was to basically make the pattern according to the directions except adding some ruffles out of the contrasting fabric to give it the layered Mori feel.  Also I wanted to add some pockets at the side seams.... because who doesn't love a good pocket?

(If you love a good pocket go watch this video.)

Now, I am not a small, petite little flower.  I am, however, a little over average weight, middle aged, gothic dressing woman.  Why do I mention this?  Because the beautiful, size small model used to photograph the beauty shots on the pattern page is not at all shaped like the above described ME! Be kind when viewing and commenting, please.  Otherwise I may just put a curse on you! (Just kidding..... or am I?) 💀😈

I began sewing using the pattern directions.  But there were a few "hacks" I needed to make to realize my vision.


The start was what felt like 3 miles of ruffles I had to make for the bodice, sleeve and hem line.  I started by cutting 2.5" strips of fabric, running a zig zag stich along the edge that was not going to be gathered up, then sewed a basting stich along the other side of the strip to gather the fabric creating the ruffle.  This went on for a millennia or two, and there aren't even that many ruffles in this project.

When the ruffles were complete. I cut out the pattern pieces from my remaining fabrics and basted the ruffles along the lower edge of bodice piece and the hem line of the right sleeve.  I did have to adjust the length of the right sleeve to accommodate the ruffles as well.


Because I have a head full of dreadlocks, sometimes it is hard to get in and out of a garment that has no closures to allow for a "big head".  So I also hacked in a hook and eye closure at the back.
Before sewing up the side seams I added some pocket bags because again, POCKETS.  Then I just sewed the rest of the project using the pattern directions.  It was a quick and easy sew. I recommend this pattern highly.

I tried the garment on before hemming and decided it was WAY too long for my liking, so I shortened it and added the final ruffle.

Using the words of the ever adorable Annika Victoria,
"How did I go?"


At the time of these pictures the garment had already been worn and washed a couple of times.  The washing gave the ruffles the distressed look with lots of soft frayed edges which I just love.  

In closing, this was a very fun project make and wear.  I don't think it is exactly my everyday vibe though, so future projects will be a little more Goth friendly, I think.

I invite you to come along with me on my journey to find the perfect style befitting a 50 something Goth.  Please comment below and let me know what you think.  I look forward to hearing from you.


Comments